Sonntag, 24. Januar 2016

2015 - one year in reading

This is probably the most frequent jannuary post of all book blogs in existence. Well, I guess the internet can handle one more then!



As you can see in the picture above: I've read 12 books (actually, I'm lying, there are only 11 you can see in the picture above, one I had to give back to a friend who was so nice and lend it to me).
So twelve books in twelve months. Not the best of statistic. So much less then the years before, in which I at least scored 20 book. Should I be sad/disappointed/quitting my book blogging semi-career? I refuse.



I actually shifted my reading habits quite a bit last year. Less YA, less books that I was starting with a mediocre expectation to begin with, less books I didn't like (although there are exceptions to this rule of course. The Selection I'm looking at you).



 In general, I am very pleased with my last year readingwise. Although my reading game grew weaker in the second half of the year, I definitely had interesting journeys and took more risks, e.g. reading classics, a non-fiction book and even a play. I even started Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring at some point. Put it on hold after 125 pages because the 6 weeks my library gave me to read it were up. Will return to it at some point hopefully(/maybe).



My main point is: I explored. And while I did this, I still managed to read 5 books off my to-be-read-pile.



What are my reading goals for 2016 then? After nearly 3 years of trying to reduce my TBR, I feel like I made enough progress to get back to allowing myself to read new releases or old classics/bestsellers that I have been looking forward to since forever (Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte or Slaughterhouse 5 by Kurt Vonnegurt to name a few).



 I also sorted out my TBR pile: there is now a pile featuring books that I definitely want to read soon and one that I still want to read at some point in my life but will not pressure myself to read anytime soon. The latter one mostly features books from my teenage years that I either never started to read to begin with or stopped for no reason whatsoever after a hundret and something pages (damn it 15-year-old-me!) or quick YA reads that I bought impulsively over the last two years like the House of Night Series. The other (more relevant) TBR pile is going to get its own blog post in the near future (or at least I plan on it).



And now: I think, I owe it to you: all of my 2015 books in a nice overview situation (you earned it!):

1. Not That Kind Of Girl - Lena Dunham (partly interesting, partly mediocre as fuck)

2. Gone Girl - Gillian Flynn (kept me on the edge of my seat - and I never got what people meant with this phrase either)

3. The Beach - Alex Garland (def suspensful, probably even better if you haven't seen the movie already)

4. Fight Club - Chuck Palahniuk (breathtakingly amazing! even/especially if you love the movie!!)

5. City of Glass - Cassandra Claire (well, well. boring for most parts. still liking the characters enough to move on with the series)

6. Andorra - Max Frisch (definitely refreshing and clever... and yep, refreshing is a pun on the author's name which in english means fresh .... please don't judge me :D)

7. The Selection - Kiera Cass (not good! def not good! didn't want to continue this series... but from time to time I wonder what the characters are up to... damn it, curiosity! I'm still not sure yet)

8. Wuthering Heights - Emily Bronte (I HAVE AN ACTUAL BLOG POST ON THIS ONE, I HAVE AN ACTUAL BLOG POST ON THIS ONE! AND IT IS HERE. not my favorite classical literature experience but I'm glad I read it)

9. A Dance With Dragons (A Song Of Ice And Fire, Book 5) - George R. R. Martin (this incredibly long entry also corresponses to how amazing this book/series is/was!! excited for the next!!!)

10. Die Wellenläufer - Kai Meyer (german, english translation: Pirate Curse, The Wave Walkers #1) 
(definitely discovered Kai Meyer for me this year. His writing style brings me joy)

11. Sense and Sensibility - Jane Austen (first Austen, first Austen! Ever! Definitely want to continue with some Austen this year, it was both entertaining and though provoking.)

12. Momo - Michael Ende (german children's book classic that I haven't read in my childhood, so I kinda fixed this.)




Thanks 2015. Here is to 2016! May the reading odds be ever in your favor.



Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen